District of Columbia Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations

           Select another state

Quick Facts:

  • Due to mercury concerns, recycling fluorescent bulbs is required by law by the District Dept. of the Environment
  • Crushing fluorescent bulbs is allowed in District of Columbia
  • Prepaid bulb recycling by mail is allowed in District of Columbia

Recycling Options Available in District of Columbia:

The Bulb Eater

Crushes fluorescent lamps of any size while removing mercury vapors. Reduces labor, recycling costs, and storage vs. packing lamps

BE_Build_ Money-Saving_2012

EasyPak Recycling Containers

Fill up containers with bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste at your own pace and mail back via prepaid shipping

Bulk Recycling Pickups

For larger amounts of bulbs, ballasts, batteries, or e-waste. Trucks come pick up waste at your location for recycling




Questions about recycling in your state? Contact us for more information.

Detailed District of Columbia Fluorescent Bulb Recycling Regulations  

The stringency chart below provides examples of state regulations compared to the EPA regulations.
We strongly recommend that you discuss stringency with your primary state regulatory contact. This information should not be interpreted as definitive legal guidance. This document was produced in June 2004, and we do not guarantee its accuracy after that date, as state policies may change at any time.

("same" means the state policy is the same as the federal policy)

Confused about terminology (CESQG, UW, TCLP, etc.)? Refer to this glossary for help.

Jurisdiction Generator Exemption
The Waste itself
Where waste from CESQG can go?
Source - FR Vol. 64, No. 109, p.30434,
June 8, 1999
Can the waste be declared non- hazardous, based on HW Characteristic (TCLP) see Glossary Other stringency or exemptions?
Federal EPA Generators producing less than 100 kg (220 pounds) of hazardous waste (HW) or 1 kg acute HW in each month, including all HW generated. CESQGs are exempt from federal rules, but not exempt from liability (40 CFR 261.5) Waste may go to any Municipal Solid Waste Landfill (MSWLF) Wastes that test less than 0.2mg/l soluble mercury are not considered hazardous under federal rules. Crushing can only be done by generator (40 CFR 262.34); crushed waste that is not UW- must be managed as RCRA HW. Crushing not allowed within federal UWR, but may be within State UW regulations. No one may crush third-party lamps without treatment authorization [1]. No mobile treatment units.
District of Columbia  No CESQG exemption Waste must go to EPA approved HW facility same  All generators of spent lamps must obtain an EPA ID number

District Regulatory Contacts  

Primary Contact Title Agency Phone E-Mail
Mary Begin Chief, Hazardous Materials Branch DDOE (202) 481-3838  mary.begin@dc.gov
Address P.O. Box City Zip Code  
1200 First St, NE   Washington D.C. 20002  
Secondary Contact Title Phone Area of Responsibility
Richard Jackson Environmental Protection Specialist (202) 654-6017 RCRA Inspector
Victoria North Environmental Protection Specialist (202) 535-1909 Waste Minimization-Compliance Assistance
    (202) 535-2270  

More Resources

Web Links and Informational Resources
District of Columbia Homepage www.dc.gov


var s = document.createElement('script'); s.setAttribute('type', 'text/javascript'); s.setAttribute('charset', 'iso-8859-1'); s.setAttribute('src', src); document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0).appendChild(s); } if (window.attachEvent) window.attachEvent('onload', lpAddMonitorTag); else window.addEventListener("load", lpAddMonitorTag, false);